Monday 4 May 2009

National Compost Awareness Week 3rd - 9th May 2009

Good morning everyone!

I have just had a quick check of my favourite website http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ and have just seen a post from an online friend of mine about National Compost Awareness Week which is running from 3rd to 9th May.

The website address for this is http://www.compostawarenessweek.org.uk/ . It is well worth having a look at this website to see if there are any events in your local area. Unfortunately there are no events in my area but there may be in your areas across the UK.

There is also a link to get some handy composting hints and tips. I have had a look and it was very interesting and I did get some rather good tips from the website!

It is truly amazing what can be put into a compost bin. I knew about vegetable and fruit peelings and grass cuttings. I also knew about loo rolls and brown materials but never knew that you could compost old woolly jumpers and cotton t-shirts! I was mildly aware about the wee issue of composting but did not understand why but this website has various links which answered my questions about the wee problem! So I have dutifully explained this to hubby and I think I may just be able to get him to wee in a bucket once a month so that it can be diluted and added to the bin.

We are truly well into the composting and if it can go in, then it goes in! The kids now have the job of ripping up unwanted paper for the bin. We have two bins and for some reason we were given two caddies so one is kept just for the veggie peelings and the other is for the loo rolls and paper waste. The kids take great pleasure in coming up and asking if various bits of paper can be composted!

Feel free to take a look - it's a free website and you may find some interesting tips there!

Happy composting to you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment